First Friday Artist: Randy Harman

First Friday Artist: Randy Harman

On Friday, December 1st from 5:00pm-7:00pm, we are thrilled to host a First Fridays Gallery Opening and special Holiday Party at The Depot which will feature the talented artist Randy Harman! Join us to view Randy’s exhibition, a bold pop of color of poured painting, and to enjoy refreshments and community. Get to know more about Randy and his art below, and RSVP on Facebook here.

Also, don’t miss our other featured artists and vendors with their work for sale, Russ Eanes, Wood and Wool, and David Sutton with music by Red Wing Academy.

Artist Randy Harman

Bio:

Randy Harman is a native of Harrisonburg and the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. Randy has worked in the real estate industry since 1996—first as a Realtor, then three years later obtaining his Principal Brokers license and founding Harman Realty, Inc.

Mirroring his own colorful personality, he birthed a lively and family-focused corporate culture while maintaining a strict dedication to the personal and career development of each of his employees. It was this combination of ingredients, coupled with a technology-forward approach, that would prove to be Harman Realty’s special recipe—fueling its sustained growth for decades to come.

Outside of the office, Mr. Harman has many hobbies; but the greatest of these has been his love of art. He has an eye for color usage, as evidenced by his most recent passion for, and the subject of this display, the abstract method of painting called poured or fluid painting using the highest quality of acrylic paint. Randy has been an artist in many areas of his life including palette knife painting with heavy body paints, silk painting using alcohol paints and inks, as well as the art of Shibori which is an ancient method of silk dying and forming colorful permanent pleats in the fabric. Randy also enjoys working in several aspects of art within the use of various textiles, ie fabrics, strings, cords, etc. Randy continues to evolve and expand his artistic ventures but has found much joy and satisfaction in his most recent conquest, the poured or fluid method of painting.

Randy lives in Harrisonburg with his husband Kyle, travels often to visit his daughter attending college in Miami, all while running his business and exceling and expanding in his art! Randy can be reached at his email which is Randy@HarmanRealty.com or his mobile phone which is 540-246-4300. Randy also has an Etsy store where he displays many of his latest paintings, so feel free to find him there. The address for his Etsy shop is www.etsy.com/shop/RandyHarmanArt .

Randy Harman Signature. CEO Harman Realty, Inc.

This event is free and open to everyone. Refreshments will be served and we look forward to seeing you there! See the event page and RSVP here.

Each month we host a new artist in our building’s 2nd floor gallery at the Chesapeake Western Depot at 141 W. Bruce St. (second floor entrance is on Chesapeake). Artwork will remain on exhibit through the month. Come view the show anytime and get a tour the Depot! We will have food and drink available!

Celebrate the Holidays at the Depot!

Celebrate the Holidays at the Depot!

It’s once again the time of year when the cold begins to creep onto your windows and as you peer outside, your breath fogs over the glass. The smell of spices and holiday pine greenery begin to fill the air. There’s a tease of snow on the horizon. … You get the picture.

At the Depot, we’re already in the holiday spirit, and we can’t wait to celebrate with you! On Friday, December 1st, join us at the Depot for a special Holiday Party and First Friday event filled with artists galore, craft vendors, refreshments, community, music, an appearance by Santa himself, and more!

Artists featured on the second floor will be Randy Harman, showing his poured acrylic work; author Russ Eanes with copies of his newest book available for sale and signing; Wood and Wool, needle felting and woodturning for sale by Lynn and Phil Adams; and David Sutton of Port Farm, selling his hand-turned woodwork. This is the perfect time to buy local, handmade gifts for the holidays. Also, don’t miss a group from Red Wing Academy who will grace us with their appearance as they fill the space with music.

This is a free and kid-friendly event, and everyone is welcome and invited to join. A special thanks to our neighbors R.S. Monger and Sons Inc. and Herr & Co. for co-hosting this community event. RSVP for the event on Facebook here.

Invitation to Holiday Party and First Friday Event on December 1, 2023.
First Friday Artist: Joe Fitzgerald

First Friday Artist: Joe Fitzgerald

On Friday, November 3rd from 5:00pm-7:00pm, we are thrilled to host a First Fridays Gallery Opening at The Depot featuring the talented photographer Joe Fitzgerald! Join us to view Joe’s exhibition, “Sense of Place,” and to enjoy food, refreshments, and community. Get to know more about Joe and his art below and RSVP on Facebook here.

First Friday artist Joe Fitzgerald's headshot

Biography:

I’ve been a newspaper editor, Harrisonburg mayor, political hack, reporter, writer, programmer, photographer, webmaster, tech writer, and a night clerk in a 7-Eleven. Not all at the same time. I’m retired now, so I’m only doing two of those – photos and writing – and only when I want to. Like everybody else, I’m trying to keep my cool while the world doesn’t. I’m married to Deb, economics professor at BRCC and the only person I know of to chair both the city’s School Board and its Planning Commission. She spots photos for me, tells me when I’ve processed one too much, suggests which ones to print, and helps me hang them. I do the rest, including pointing the camera, choosing the f-stop, and taking the credit.

Artist Statement:

“Sense of Place,” photos by Joe Fitzgerald. “We travel, and Deb says, “Look over there,” and I have a camera with me. Beyond that, the photos have to speak for themselves, even if I’m never sure what they’re saying.”

photograph of mountains by Joe Fitzgerald
photograph entitled, "Mosco Street"

This event is free and open to everyoneSnacks and refreshments will be served and we look forward to seeing you there! See the event page and RSVP here.

Each month we host a new artist in our building’s 2nd floor gallery at the Chesapeake Western Depot at 141 W. Bruce St. (second floor entrance is on Chesapeake). Artwork will remain on exhibit through the month. Come view the show anytime and get a tour the Depot! We will have food and drink available!

Big Brothers Big Sisters Luncheon 2023: “It Takes Little to Be Big”

Big Brothers Big Sisters Luncheon 2023: “It Takes Little to Be Big”

Last Thursday our Harrisonburg team attended the Big Brothers Big Sisters luncheon, “Bigger Together: A Community Celebration of Mentoring.” It was a wonderful time to meet other leaders in the community and hear from Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) mentors. Speakers shared about their time mentoring youth in the community, and a theme that came through was that mentors were pleasantly surprised to be greatly impacted by the youth that they were paired with. Often, their relationships last past the program with a great respect for each other and a want to continue making meaningful connections. 

Harrisonburg team members at the Big Brothers Big Sisters Luncheon.
Big Brothers Big Sisters sponsorship sign at the luncheon.

A central theme of the luncheon was “It Takes Little to Be Big.” This simple fact was a good reminder and impactful to our team members. The speaker emphasized that it’s often not the grandiose or “big” moments that are impactful, but the seemingly small actions. A high-five, laugh together, 15 minutes supporting studying, cheering each other on, providing a listening ear, and the list goes on. Asha reflected, “I am often surprised to be going about my day and have a little voice of something someone said once go through my head. These small things impact me greatly, sometimes in negative ways, but often in positive ways. Or at least they provide me with a laugh. I was glad to be reminded of all the small things that we do that we may never know positively impact each other.”

It is always a pleasure to support such an incredible organization, and we are so grateful for all that they do to bring the community together and support youth. Consider joining the mentorship program or volunteering in other ways. Remember that you don’t have to commit to doing something huge, because sometimes it only takes a little to be big. To read more about the programs through BBBS, visit: https://www.bbbshr.org/programs/.

2023 Rotary Golf Tournament

2023 Rotary Golf Tournament

‘Tis the season of golf tournaments! On Saturday, Paul participated in the 2023 Rotary Golf Tournament at Heritage Oaks Golf Course to benefit the Ronald McDonald House in Charlottesville. It was a beautiful day to compete together and support an amazing organization.

For those that are unfamiliar with the Ronald McDonald House of Charlottesville, their “primary mission… is to provide lodging for the families of pediatric patients while the children are receiving medical treatment at the University of Virginia Children’s Hospital. The House offers an affordable, calm, comfortable haven – a home away from home – for its guests. For exhausted parents, who are already stressed by the illness of their child, it is a place where families can relax, eat together, and find support from other parents who are in similar situations.” We thank them for everything that they do.

Pictured below from left to right: Mike Wolfe of Simpson Strong-Tie, Paul (Principal of our Charlottesville location), Blake Gordon of Titan America Roanoke Cement Company, Eli Strauss of Strauss Construction.

For more information on the Ronald McDonald House Charlottesville and for ways that you can get involved, check out their website here.

Big Brothers Big Sisters Mini-Golf for Kids’ Sake 2023

Big Brothers Big Sisters Mini-Golf for Kids’ Sake 2023

This past Friday The Gaines Group team in Harrisonburg had the privilege of supporting the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) through some competitive mini-golf. It was a beautiful afternoon to get out into the sunshine to compete against each other in some (mostly) friendly competition.

Aimee, Deborah, Mariya, Jarod, and Asha at the Big Brothers Big Sisters Mini-Golf fundraiser.

This year our team split into two groups to compete for the lowest combined group score and a group lunch out. Team one, Par Vacation, was led by Interior Designer Jarod, with the dynamic marketing duo Charles and Asha. Team Two was led by Designer Mariya, Architect Deborah and Designer Aimee. Highlights include two hole-in-one’s by Mariya who backed up her smack talk, one hole-in-one by Asha which earned her a free dozen donuts from Krispy Kreme, an embarassing amount of 7-strokes on a hole, and two balls fished out from the water. In the end, though it was close, Team Par Vacation pulled out the win by 5 strokes. 

Jarod puts the ball during mini-golf.

Regardless of the score, we were thrilled to be a part of this event and support such an amazing cause! For more information about BBBS check out what you can do to get involved in your community!