You hear it all the time, but I am here to tell you:: Green does not cost more, quality costs more. Here are 17 tips that will not add to your building costs, but will save you money and protect the earth.
- Orient building to maximize natural lighting and solar heat gain.
- Place windows to provide good natural ventilation.
- Select a light-colored “cool roof”
- Provide overhangs on south-facing windows.
- install LED lights.
- Install high R-value insulation
- select energy star appliances.
- Design Water-efficient landscapes.
- Install water-efficient toilets and fixtures.
- Use permeable paving materials.
- Use concrete with flyash.
- Use engineered wood for headers, joists, and sheathing.
- Use recycled content insulation, drywall, and carpet.
- Use Low or No VOC paint.
- Use formaldehyde-free or fully sealed materials for cabinets and counters.
- Vent rangehood to the outside.
- install carbon monoxide detector.
Pingback: Green Term Defined: Weatherization | DESIGN MATTERS