Anyone that has walked the downtown and looked in all the windows of the shops knows how much fun it can be to shop local. Shopping local builds community and brings neighbors together, but there are even more benefits.
1. Shopping local builds local character, encourages local entrepreneurship, and grows diversity in the community.
2. Locally owned business are good for the community building a strong sustainable economy.
3. Locally owned businesses make decisions that benefit their town.
4. Your dollars spent locally supports your neighbors and friends keeping the money local. You are creating local jobs, opportunities, and you are promoting community development.
5. Locally owned businesses usually offer better pay and benefits that most chain stores.
6. Local stores in downtown reduces the strain on infrastructure and makes an efficient use of existing buildings.
7. Local stores are vibrant, sustainable, compact, pedestrian friendly, and help reduce sprawl.
8. A vibrant local market encourages variety and competition keeping prices low and options high.
9. Small business owners select their products based on their taste and interest and do not answer to national sales plans.
10. Locally owned businesses are the backbone for a strong community.
So shop local and support your neighbors today! Here is a list of some places you might find interesting.
Appeal Production – As the old saying goes, you’re only as good as the content you have to work with. At Appeal, we create all things video from online media campaigns to broadcast commercials to corporate videos, the team at Appeal is ready to make your business look it’s best.
Beyond – Beyond Restaurant & Lounge is Asian fusion restaurant including full bar and sushi. Located in historic downtown of Harrisonburg, Virginia. Taste Beyond your expectations!
Blue Ribbon Nursery – Be sure to Stop In when you are in the area. Broadway’s only Lawn and Garden Center and Full service Nursery. Mulch, Trees, shrubs, garden decor and so much more. See what everyone has been talking about.
Downtown Wine and Gourmet – Wine Shop
Elite Insulation – Whether it is a new construction, a remodel job, or simply adding extra insulation to lower energy costs, Elite Insulation will meet your exact needs.
Friendly City Food Co-op – The co-op seeks to expand access to and demand for local and nutritious food through its retail store, and community education and outreach. Everyone can shop, anyone can join!
Glen’s Fair Price – Family owned and operated in downtown Harrisonburg. We have everything from costumes to cameras. also there isn’t much that we don’t have here so come see us.
Jack Brown’s Beer and burger Joint – 100% Natural Wagyu beef, aka American Kobe hamburgers. Yukon gold fries and deep-fried Oreos!
Laughing Dog T-Shirt & Gifts – GIft Shop: Visit our Gift Shop for fine & fun gifts with a focus on Made in the USA and Fairly Traded items. Featuring many unique lines of silver & fashion jewelry, fashion accessories including handbags, jackets, t-shirts and scarves, large selection of greeting cards, journals, candles, bath and body, home decor.
Local Chop and Grill House – EAT FRESH EAT LOCAL Relaxed, social atmosphere and superb food featuring organic, sustainably raised, and LOCAL food from farmers and growers in the bountiful Shenandoah Valley. Happy Hour is from 4 until 7pm, Tuesday through Friday in the LOCAL Bar.
Monger’s Lumber – a full service lumber yard and building supply store.
Ragtime Fabrics – A pennyworth fabric shop for all your priceless projects and heirlooms
Randy’s Hardware – Window/screen repair, sharpening, rental equipment, kitchen/bath remodel, cabinet design/installation, custom spray paint, hydraulic hoses, Mr. Fix-It, board stretching
The Sole Source – The Sole Source is dedicated to providing our customers with the highest quality comfort and performance footwear, friendly service, attention to fit, and knowledge of our products.
The Yellow Button – Dress Shop
You Made It – You Made It! is a family owned and operated Paint Your Own Pottery and Fused Glass Studio in the Harrisonburg, Virginia. We specialize in outstanding customer service with ‘tricks of the trade’ tips and free art instruction for everyone. No appointment is necessary to receive the best in customer care and artistic assistance.