As we stand here on the verge of a New Year, I cannot help but look back and evaluate what we accomplished in our 26th year in business. To sum it up, 2013 was a good year, but there is still work to get done. We continue to be one of the fortunate firms in the area that has seen steady growth, for that I am very thankful. We had the chance to design a wide variety of projects from warehouse to custom home, basement renovation to apartment community. I continue to pray that our future is brighter than our past – we have momentum for sure – lets hope our good fortune continues. Some of our successful ventures in 2013:
- Timberlake Place finally finished construction. This project experienced many obstacles along the way. However, now that it is done, we celebrate along with JABA in providing a project that features 26 affordable age restricted apartment units in Charlottesville. This project is 100% Universal Design compliant and EarthCraft Certified. It has also been selected as a featured project in the VSAIA Virginia Communities Exhibition opening in January in Richmond.
- Harrisonburg Bikram Yoga opened their doors. This project was featured in the Construction Specifier Magazine for the careful and complicated insulation execution that allows them to have 100 degree temperatures with 40% humidity in an existing building.
- We continued to spread the word about Healthy, Energy-Efficient, and Durable design solutions through lectures at UVA Darden School, Blue Ridge Community College, Shenandoah Valley Partnership, Charlottesville Area Association of Realtors, Eastern Mennonite High School, Virginia Sustainable Building Network, Charlottesville Networking Group, and Countryside Real Estate Services.
- We were featured in Metal Architecture Magazine.
- The Hinge House achieved LEED Certification. This project was started by CATEC (Charlottesville High School Students), and finished by Greene County Habitat for Humanity.
- Two homes for Charlottesville Habitat for Humanity achieved LEED Silver Certification.
- Wellness Concepts, an office building in Grottoes, Virginia, achieved LEED Gold Certification. This 18,000 SF facility really shows how building right cuts energy consumption showing a 40+% average annual savings.
- I returned to Construct after missing last year. At the event I participated in a panel discussion on blogging with these amazing industry leaders (check out their blogs) I dig Hardware, SpecWords, Comments from a spec writer, Eric Lussier.
- We again participated in the SVBA Home and Garden Show. The all new venue was very successful with added activities including a kid zone, beer garden, and classic car show.
- Duke Gardens got a facelift – this design project gave new life and improved the safety of an older student housing project in Harrisonburg.
- Waverly Place, an apartment community in Louisa, broke ground. This is the first in a series of multi-family projects being designed in the Charlottesville office.
- HR Green Network continued to offer a positive influence in the community. A green building directory was started, groups joined together to advocate for a higher standard for the new middle school, and a conversation was started with the city on the importance of efficiency.
- Charles became a Certified Green Professional through the National Home Builders Association. This adds to his Certified Aging in Place specialist, Construction Document Technologist, and LEED Accredited Professional certification.
- We were once again named “best of Houzz” for 2013
- We had the opportunity to design Mincer’s second location. This historic business has been located on the Charlottesville corner since 1948 and has now expanded to the Shops at Stonefield.
- The Harrisonburg Rockingham Chamber of Commerce Aging in Place Round Table continues to grow. This group that we helped start in Harrisonburg brings together businesses and non-profits that serve the 55+ community. Monthly meetings are held to learn from each other and better understand the needs of this growing demographic.
- Charles was named one of the top 20 under 40 in the Middle Atlantic by ENR.com.
- We had the opportunity to design solutions for Carded Graphics, Hollister, Quantico Village, Biocore, Heritage Inn, Child Protective Services, Luxor, and Excel HVAC.
- The Charlottesville office added James Halstead to the team bringing his years of structural design experience to our team.
- We designed several custom homes, a Master Bedroom addition, basement renovation, pool house, and a home renovation.
- We started design on our first project in Pennsylvania.
- The Harrisonburg Parklet Project made a return to Harrisonburg.
As I said, it has been a good year. Thanks for all those that have trusted us to deliver design for your project. I look forward to the coming year and the opportunities that have yet to reveal themselves. We have a bright future.
Charles – Congratulations on a great year. It was good reading about your team’s accomplishments for the year. Best wishes for 2014!